Group: netwin.surgemail
From: surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com>
Subject: [SurgeMail List] Re: Unable to use my php email function
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:59:22 +1200

That looks like a response from your router not from surgemail....

Check what ipaddress/hostname your phpmailer is connecting to, are you sure it's surgemail?

Try from the same host manually:

    telnet your.surgemai.ip.address 25

    ehlo bob

and see if the response looks like it's surgemail responding (try the same thing on the surgemail server to see how it responds...)

ChrisP.

On 27/06/2017 8:28 a.m., surgemail-list@netwinsite.com wrote:
I know this is going to be an easy fix and it's just a setting I've missed. Here goes.

For a couple of years I've used PHPMailer running off of Github. Today, however I got an error.

SERVER -> CLIENT: 250-spectrumdata.com. Hello www.spectrumdata.com (192.168.42.1)250-LOGINDISABLED250-ETRN250-

Calling it from my web server on the LAN but calling through my domain (spectrumdata.com). When I turn on more details I see that the IP in the talk is my router. I feel like SM thinks I'm logging in from outside. I'm confused, however, that it worked last week.

I recently installed the latest version and ran my Config Checker taking all recommendations.

Thanks
John

--
I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to like us on FaceBook, thanks heaps! ChrisP.

From: "John Kelly" <johnk@spectrumdata.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:51:00 -0500

It's going to mail.spectrumdata.com (my server). Telnet to it I get this. 192.168.42.1 is the address of my router. Let me state again that it worked fine last week and for many years before.

220 spectrumdata.com SurgeSMTP (Version 7.2i-1) http://surgemail.com
ehlo bob
250-spectrumdata.com. Hello bob (192.168.42.1)
250-LOGINDISABLED
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-X-ID 6c696e757831343938353232333639
250 HELP

From: surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:04:08 +1200

--------------8D4F9CDDDC4A718A85F731C1

Ahh, ok.  Now I see it.  Sorry, I was talking rubbish :-)

Looks like you have G_SSL_REQUIRE_LOGIN or some similar setting
preventing non ssl logins (which is generally a good idea), except for
php scripts like this which can't cope...

g_ssl_require_login "*,!192.168.42.1"

which will fix it, except you don't really want your router ip address
in there as it breaks the restriction for everyone not just your php system.

so, Assumnig that does fix it, ideally modify the phpscript to connect
via the lan address rather than the router address of the server (so the
local ip address)...

     ChrisP.

On 27/06/2017 10:51 a.m., surgemail-list@netwinsite.com wrote:
> It's going to mail.spectrumdata.com (my server). Telnet to it I get this. 192.168.42.1 is the address of my router. Let me state again that it worked fine last week and for many years before.
>
> 220 spectrumdata.com SurgeSMTP (Version 7.2i-1) http://surgemail.com
> ehlo bob
> 250-spectrumdata.com. Hello bob (192.168.42.1)
> 250-LOGINDISABLED
> 250-ETRN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-X-ID 6c696e757831343938353232333639
> 250 HELP
>

> surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com> wrote:

--
I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to like us on
FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/SurgeMail-194672027239873>, thanks
heaps! ChrisP.

--------------8D4F9CDDDC4A718A85F731C1

  <head>
  </head>
      preventing non ssl logins (which is generally a good idea), except
      for php scripts like this which can't cope... <br>
      address in there as it breaks the restriction for everyone not
      just your php system.</p>
      connect via the lan address rather than the router address of the
      server (so the local ip address)...</p>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:surgemail-list@netwinsite.com">surgemail-list@netwinsite.com</a> wrote:<br>
      <pre wrap="">It's going to mail.spectrumdata.com (my server). Telnet to it I get this. 192.168.42.1 is the address of my router. Let me state again that it worked fine last week and for many years before.

220 spectrumdata.com SurgeSMTP (Version 7.2i-1) <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://surgemail.com">http://surgemail.com</a>
ehlo bob
250-spectrumdata.com. Hello bob (192.168.42.1)
250-LOGINDISABLED
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-X-ID 6c696e757831343938353232333639
250 HELP

surgemail-support <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:surgemail-support@netwinsite.com">&lt;surgemail-support@netwinsite.com&gt;</a> wrote:
</pre>
        <pre wrap="">
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>
      I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to <a
        href="https://www.facebook.com/SurgeMail-194672027239873">
        like us on FaceBook</a>, thanks heaps! ChrisP.

--------------8D4F9CDDDC4A718A85F731C1--

From: "John Kelly" <johnk@spectrumdata.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:21:57 -0500

OK. I shut down the server, edited surgemail.ini and added

g_ssl_require_login "*,!192.168.42.1"

I restarted. Everything was exactly the same going to mail.spectrumdata.com.

I tried to telnet to the actual server (192.168.42.35) and it timed out.

What has happened in the last week to make this crazy stuff. Is my server insane?

From: surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:36:48 +1200

--------------DDB63EC5B50FB1CFE271F0D3

Ok, send me your surgemail.ini.  Most likely the config checker
suggested some change that caused this by increasing security :-). Most
likely it's always been going via the router but in the past it didn't
matter...

(please email the ini to surgemail-support@netwinsite.com, don't send
via the list/newsgroup :-)

     ChrisP.

On 27/06/2017 11:21 a.m., surgemail-list@netwinsite.com wrote:
> OK. I shut down the server, edited surgemail.ini and added
>
> g_ssl_require_login "*,!192.168.42.1"
>
> I restarted. Everything was exactly the same going to mail.spectrumdata.com.
>
> I tried to telnet to the actual server (192.168.42.35) and it timed out.
>
> What has happened in the last week to make this crazy stuff. Is my server insane?
>

> surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com> wrote:

--
I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to like us on
FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/SurgeMail-194672027239873>, thanks
heaps! ChrisP.

--------------DDB63EC5B50FB1CFE271F0D3

  <head>
  </head>
      suggested some change that caused this by increasing security :-).
      Most likely it's always been going via the router but in the past
      it didn't matter...<br>
      send via the list/newsgroup :-)</p>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:surgemail-list@netwinsite.com">surgemail-list@netwinsite.com</a> wrote:<br>
      <pre wrap="">OK. I shut down the server, edited surgemail.ini and added

From: "John Kelly" <johnk@spectrumdata.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:10:59 -0500

SOLVED
I'm not sure this is the right thing to do but my email's working again.

Web Admin, I added my router's IP to the IP Wild card list to require SSL encryption for POP/IMAP/SMTP
*,!127.0.0.1,!192.168.42.1

I had added the router, as recommended, to the surgemail.ini in my surgemail directory. That didn't work. The web admin, apparently, added it to the windows\surgemail.ini.

So, the one in my surgemail directory is a backup? An extra? An out of town cousin?

However, it's working now. Thanks for all the help. I always get fast responses here.

From: surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:46:08 +1200

--------------D9A795F1F42181EECF2DC072

Yay!  .  That other one (in the surgemail folder) shouldn't exist, sorry
for the confusion, try removing it, see if it re-appears :-).

     ChrisP.

On 28/06/2017 4:10 a.m., surgemail-list@netwinsite.com wrote:
> SOLVED
> I'm not sure this is the right thing to do but my email's working again.
>
> Web Admin, I added my router's IP to the IP Wild card list to require SSL encryption for POP/IMAP/SMTP
> *,!127.0.0.1,!192.168.42.1
>
> I had added the router, as recommended, to the surgemail.ini in my surgemail directory. That didn't work. The web admin, apparently, added it to the windows\surgemail.ini.
>
> So, the one in my surgemail directory is a backup? An extra? An out of town cousin?
>
> However, it's working now. Thanks for all the help. I always get fast responses here.
>
> surgemail-support <surgemail-support@netwinsite.com> wrote:

--
I'd really appreciate it if you could take a moment to like us on
FaceBook <https://www.facebook.com/SurgeMail-194672027239873>, thanks
heaps! ChrisP.

--------------D9A795F1F42181EECF2DC072

  <head>
  </head>
      exist, sorry for the confusion, try removing it, see if it
      re-appears :-). <br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:surgemail-list@netwinsite.com">surgemail-list@netwinsite.com</a> wrote:<br>
      <pre wrap="">SOLVED